The Optimal Brain Center (OBC) is a division of the Pleasanton clinics, Optimal Health Spectrums and Developmental Spectrums. The OBC is run by Dr. Lynne Mielke, a well-known bay area doctor, who is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, with years of additional training and specialization in integrative medicine for adults and children.
The goal of the OBC is to evaluate each patient individually and assess what brain treatment modality will help them the most. A healthy brain is a happy, calm, focused, well-functioning brain. Unfortunately, the brain is exquisitely sensitive to injury and imbalance, and is often genetically prone to psychiatric and even neurodevelopmental disorders.
Conditions that may be helped by the treatments offered at the OBC include:
- Psychiatric disorders- such as chronic Depression, Anxiety, OCD, PTSD, Tourette’s, and Autism.
- Neurologic disorders – such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) from things such as car accidents, falling, or war injuries, Concussions from many sources including sports injuries, Stroke, Anoxic injuries such as partial drowning, Migraines, Multiple Sclerosis symptoms, Parkinson’s symptoms, Chronic Pain, and sometimes Seizure disorders, among others.
The main treatments that are offered at the OBC are:
- Biochemical Assessment and Treatment – appropriate laboratory testing at your intake appointment to find and treat nutritional and/or hormonal deficiencies that can deprive the brain of what it needs to function optimally, and to test for and treat toxins and/or infections that can negatively affect brain function.
- QEEG – A QEEG is a functional brain map that can be made using 19 electrodes applied to your head. It tells us at a neuronal level what is going on in your brain and where the problems are, and can be used to guide the clinician in prescribing the proper neurotherapy to help fix the problem.
- TMS – Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, which uses powerful magnets to stimulate parts of the brain to work better, often without the use of medication. TMS is FDA approved for depression, but is often used off-label for many other brain disorders.
- Neurofeedback – Neurofeedback is a gentler brain therapy that “exercises” the brain into balance through feedback provided by a computer, and has been found to be very effective at resolving many issues, such as ADD or sleep disorders.
- HBOT – Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which uses oxygen under pressure in a chamber to enhance oxygenation of all brain tissues, which can improve neurologic functioning after it has been damaged by trauma such as a stroke or injury.
- TBI – Traumatic Brain Injury, can cause major problems in a person’s life – sometimes years after it happens. Hormone and nutrient deficiency from TBI can cause many symptoms that are correctable when properly tested for and replaced to normal levels. Direct brain therapies like TMS and HBOT can further healing!
The combination of services offered at Optimal Health Spectrums is the most comprehensive available in the Bay Area for the holistic treatment of underlying health issues and neurologic problems.